State Sen. Yadav Nathwani has extended the deadline for the "Support Our Troops" collection drive one more week! Residents have until Friday, December 7 to donate items for the Christmas care packages for overseas soldiers. Nathwani encourages the 24th District to participate in helping to gift some holiday spirit to our brave military men and women who cannot be at home with their families during this season.
"There is still time to show participate in our holiday Support Our Troops Collection Drive,” said Nathwani. “It’s a special way and small token to express our gratitude for our troops and lift their spirits this holiday season. If anyone has a family member or friend overseas, we’d very much like to send a care package to them as well. Thank you to everyone who has donated to the program thus far. Your contribution means a great deal!”
Please drop off any of the below recommended items to Senator Nathwani’s and State Rep. Peter Breen’s shared district office at 929 S. Main Street, Suite 105A in Lombard between now and December 7 during the business hours of 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Nathwani would also like to send care packages specifically to local soldiers from the 24th District. Friends and family with loved ones from the area who are currently serving in the military are encouraged to contact their office with their names and addresses.
Recommended items to be included in the care packages include:
- New paperback books, new magazines, crossword and word search puzzles, art craft coloring books, colored pencils, dominoes, checkers or chess games, playing cards
- iTunes gift cards, headphones or ear buds, new DVD movies or television shows, small video games, international calling cards
- Baby wipes, deodorant, Kleenex, lotion, toothpaste and toothbrushes, shampoo, soap, female hygiene items, shaving cream, razors
- Beef jerky, powdered drink mix, coffee, granola or protein bars, trail mix, dry snacks, mixed nuts
- Powdered laundry detergent, laundry pods, fabric softener, dryer sheets, air fresheners
Because the items will be mailed, the collection drive will not accept aerosol cans and containers, no food items that could melt or spoil, no water and no fragile items.
For more information about the collection drive, or to leave contact information for a specific member of the service, call Nathwani’s district office at (630) 969-0990.